Creamy Cashew Chicken Chowder
1 medium-large white or yellow onion, chopped
6-8 cloves garlic, chopped
1-1.5 teaspoons salt, divided (depending on whether broth is low-sodium and/or cashews are salted)
1 box (4 cups) of Chicken/Turkey/Vegetable Broth
2 chicken breasts, cubed
¾ to 1 cup almond milk
1 cup cashews (whole or chopped; salted or unsalted)
1 medium-2 small potatoes, cubed
1 bell pepper (any color), chopped
½ bunch broccoli, chopped
2 cups diced carrots or organic sweet corn (frozen or fresh)
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste.
1. On medium heat, sauté onion, garlic in a couple tablespoons of broth, and ½ teaspoon salt.
2. Add chicken breast and ½ teaspoon salt, and sauté until cooked on all exterior sides (may still be uncooked in the middle)
3. In a blender or (ideally) a Magic Bullet (or other single-serving blender), puree the almond milk and cashews until creamy
4. Add remainder of broth and almond/cashew blend, and bring the soup to a boil. Once boiling, turn down to simmer, add potatoes, and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
5. Add the bell pepper, broccoli and sweet corn and simmer for another 5-10 minutes, until broccoli is bright green and crisp-tender.
6. Optional: Add black pepper, if desired (1/4 – ½ teaspoon). May garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.
Recipe by Leigh Wagner, MS, RD