Pureed Roasted Beet Soup
Yield: 6-8 cups
1 small yellow onion (or half a large onion)
2-3 tbsp coconut oil
1 lb red or gold beets (washed, roasted, and peeled)
1/2 pound potatoes (use variety: red, golden, purple)
1 lb carrots (Rainbow carrots are always fun for kids to chop with their sunburst array of color!)
1 stalk celery or 1/2 lb brussel sprouts (You choose, or better yet have your child choose)
1 quart (32 oz) of vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
1-2 tsp herbamare
sprigs of cilantro or parsley
Protein options: 1 cup hempseed protein, 1/2 pound chicken or lamb
1. Wash beets, carrots, potatoes, celery and/or brussel sprouts and then roast in oven up to 375 deg F. Smaller beets take about 30 minutes, but larger beets may take an hour. I usually roast everything together to make the soup quicker.
2. Saute onions in a large stainless steel or ceramic pot with the coconut oil. If adding chicken or lamb, then sauté with onions for approximately 8 minutes.
3. then add beets, carrots, potatoes, celery and/or brussel sprouts and vegetable broth for 30 -40 minutes. Add 1-2 tsp herbamare to taste.
3. Once finished, put your “beet stew” in a food processor and puree. If not using chicken or lamb, then add hempseed protein into food processor with “beet stew” to mix in for pureed texture.
4. After serving in bowls, you may add coconut milk as garnish with a sprig of cilantro or parsley